In what is probably the weirdest news I will post today, game journalists have been commenting on how terrible Nintendo Switch games taste. Since this would imply that grown men and women are habitually putting cartridges in their mouths, I can only assume there are some serious mental issues going around. Nintendo has pointed out that their games have, in fact, been coated to prevent accidental ingestion. I will now attempt to salvage this post by linking to a roundup of Switch reviews.
In a statement emailed to Polygon, a Nintendo representative confirmed the theory that Switch cartridges are coated in a material that’s meant to dissuade people from putting the units in their mouths. "A bittering agent (Denatonium Benzoate) has also been applied to the game card," the spokesperson said, adding that Nintendo recommends keeping Switch cartridges away from children "to avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion." The representative also noted that denatonium benzoate is non-toxic. Denatonium is the most bitter chemical compound known to humanity. It is widely used as an aversive agent, an additive that discourages ingestion by making a substance taste so bad that you’ll immediately want to spit it out.